What's the Status of Audio in GDM?

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 17:51:11 UTC 2008

Have you thought about eliminating the home directory and then using a soft link to the point to the target directory.

I would presume that cd ~ would work as expected, though I have not tried it.

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote: primorec writes:
> short description of the problem:
> I would like to automagically change the working directory from $HOME
> to, for example, /proj/$USER after the $USER logs into the machine via
> the graphical (GUI) login (aka gdm). So, when the $USER opens new
> terminal, he/she should be in /proj/$USER and __not__ in $HOME
> [side note: I am using tsch as my $SHELL]
>
> oo: no, putting 'cd /proj/$USER' into .cshrc is _not_ the solution
>
> oo: yes, putting 'cd /proj/$USER' into .login works if the user logs
> into the machine using CLI login and then starts the desktop with
> 'startx' OR if he/she logs to the machine via ssh|telnet. It does not
> work for gdm (aka graphical login)
>
> oo: no, adding 'cd /proj/$USER' to the file Default or Xsession does
> __not__ work.
>
> /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default
> /etc/gdm/Xsession
>
> oo: no, I do not want to change variable $HOME to point to /proj/$USER
>
> oo: no, I do not want to modify /etc/passwd file
>
> Simply put, I am out of ideas. Any hint, RTFM pointer or solution is
> appreciated.
>
> Igor
As we've been testing GDM for accessibility support on Fedora 9, we
continue to note the lack of audio support. This means that a screen
reader user has no way to know when it's OK to login.

There is no "beep" on backspace at the Login and Passwd entry. More
seriously still:

SoundOnLogin=true
SoundOnLoginFile=[some].wav

in /etc/gdm/custom.conf continues broken.

Of course we're needing the additional benefit of starting Orca for TTS
via Ctrl-s, Orca with braille via Ctrl-b, etc. I can't comment on
anything other than sound myself, but will be happy to investigate the
other gestures if that's desired. But, what should we expect for sound?

Janina

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina at a11y.org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility janina at a11y.org