Network interface won't come up on reboot

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Tue May 6 02:02:01 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Leech, Marcus
(CAR:1A12)
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 4:49 PM
To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
Subject: Re: Network interface won't come up on reboot

Jesse Keating wrote:

>Not expected to work.  /some/ service has to bring up the network, and
>in F9 that service defaults to NetworkManager.  The old 'network'
>service is there if you wish to revert back to it, but you will have to

>turn it on if you turn NetworkManager off.

Check, got it.  Will test tonight.   This is presumably in the release
notes, which I admit to
  not having read, having never previously been bitten by stuff in the
release notes in the
  last several iterations of Fedora, which I've stuck with since FC2.

Right. Got home, explicitly enabled Network, and the interface came up
on boot.  Should have
  read the release notes, I guess.

This change will, I think, confuse users a tad.  (Or maybe just the
easily-confused?? :-) :-) ).
  I'm used to having the turn on NetworkManager after I do the initial
install, if that's
  appropriate.  Like for roving laptops, and desktops where the assigned
address doesn't
  need to be static, etc.  With having NetworkManager turned on by
default, and having
  Network turned *off* by default, users trying to set static, and turn
off NM, will
  trip over this, I think.

To unsubscribe: