GDM Greeter

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue May 6 04:13:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 23:48, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> No, the remote user will get the impression that he has to click "Other"
> the first time he logs in. Next time, gdm knows him and he will show up
> in the user list.

That is still bogus.  We have a few hundred active (defined as used the
system in the last thirty days) users.  There really needs to be an
easy, documented, way to kill off the face browser once and for all.

The face browser would suffer from the following defects in our
situation:

1.  With thirty public workstations patrons would appear on some and not
others, leading many to the conclusion they need to continue to login on
the first machine they used.  Recipe for total CHAOS.

2.  It is bad enough that a knowledgeable user can get data (ypcat for
example) on other users, putting it right up on the login screen, even
without doing something as insane as posting actual photos, is just
asking for someone to ask us how that can possibly comply with state
laws regarding the privacy of library patron information.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!