GDM Greeter

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Wed May 7 03:10:59 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:
[snip]

> A real 'tester', gee I dislike that name, would live with the short
> comings of Rawhide and deal with the problems. If you really need a GUI
> to setup your system, actually *if* can only use a GUI to setup your
> system, you should not really be using Rawhide. Rawhide is often broken
> for some reason or another. It is not for the faint of heart.

I'm not testing rawhide... I'm testing F9. Sure, right now, that's the
same thing, of course, but it's still an important distinction, because
rawhide is going to be an official release soon, and it should be ready.
The differences is basically that "testing rawhide" implies making sure
packages work as intended, whereas "testing F9" implies making sure
packages are ready to be released. (Am I wrong?) Regardless, no tester
should "live with short comings": a testers job is to point out bugs and
feature short comings.

The comment on the "need" to use a GUI is completely irrelevant: a
tester's job is to point out short comings in an aspect of the system,
regardless of that tester's ability to use CLI or GUI, or their
preference for either. In this particular case, it's even more
irrelevant, though, because as we've consistently pointed out, there is
currently NO way to configure gdm login to disable the user list or
faces, or to customize the user list, by GUI or CLI tool, AFAIK, and
nobody has posted anything here saying otherwise, since I started this
thread.

Rainman