Menu entries in Gnome

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu May 8 01:52:01 UTC 2008

Dejan Čabrilo wrote:
> I've been testing Fedora 9 for a while now, and I came to notice a bit
> silly organization of GNOME menu entries. Perhaps I should report this
> as a sort of a bug?
>
> 1) Authorizations (polkit-gnome-authorization), Power Management
> (gnome-power-preferences) and Software Updates (gpk-prefs) reside in
> System/Preferences/System.
> First of all, this is a problem because of two "System" menu names.
> Also, I think it would make more sense to put them in
> System/Administration.

That change might make sense for the Authorizations tool, but not for the others
because those are per user configurations.  Authorizations is system wide afaik.

> 2) Qt3 Config (qtconfig) and Qt4 Config (qtconfig-qt4) are both in
> System/Preferences. They are the only entries, at least on my system,
> that reside in the top of Preferences. It would make more sense to put
> them in System/Preferences/Look and Feel

Yes, I agree with that one, but there are others that show up there as well (the
gnome tweak tools), so the qt tools are not the only things there at least.

> 3) There are other weird things about menu entries that I see..
> Namely, why do we have both Main menu/System tools, and
> System/Administration, or why is Keyboard Shortcuts in Personal and
> not Look and Feel. However, these should be addressed upstream to
> GNOME, right?

Probably upstream discussion, but the system tools are separate because they
should be monitoring tools in the applications menu, and system-wide
configuration tools in the system administration menu.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29