rawhide (9-RC1) install report

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Thu May 8 09:31:22 UTC 2008

Going on Jesse's statement that today's rawhide will be 9-RC1, I did a
full install of rawhide-20080507

Result: successful

Notes: I still can't make method= and stage2= work together correctly
during the install.  If I only specify method=nfs:wolves.private:/path I
still get the loader taking the stage2 off of the boot.iso CD. (This
fails due to a flakey drive.)  If I specify both method=nfs:... and
stage2=nfs:... the method is ignored in favor of some strange name
derived from the stage2=   Fortunately I can switch to an http install.

I customized my software, trying among other things to eliminate the
texlive packages.  To my suprize it came in as a result of selecting
xdvik!  TeX is not the only thing that generates dvi.  groff also
generates dvi and xdvik should not require (imo) texlive.

NetworkManager is still not very friendly to wired only networks, but it
seems to be getting better.

Kudos to everyone for getting 9 whipped into shape so well.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury