Fedora 8 to 9 preupgrade report

Waqas Bhatti waqas at pha.jhu.edu
Sat May 10 07:02:48 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I just went through a (mostly) successful Fedora 8 to 9 upgrade using
the preupgrade package. A short report follows:

- I used preupgrade 0.9.3 pulled from Koji (0.9.2 appears to be broken).
- The initial depchecking/downloading new packages went fine.
- preupgrade couldn't put Stage 2 of anaconda onto my /boot partition
because it didn't have enough space. I had the normal current + 1
previous kernel setup, with about 82 MB free out of ~100 MB, but this
isn't enough. Not sure if this might be a common problem as people try
preupgrades.
- The reboot put me directly into the preupgrade process with no
GRUB menu. Again, not a real problem, but might be a bit jarring.
Stage 2 was downloaded correctly, and the graphical install went off
without a hitch.
- Sulphur booted up just fine. Everything looks and appears to be
working correctly.
- PackageKit popped up with updates to my livna packages, so that was
a nice surprise.

A few problems:

- gnome-terminal now starts in the ~/Desktop folder. Is this an upstream
change? I couldn't see any way to get back to the previous behavior,
either in the options, or in gconf-editor. Help?
- emacs is now emacs-22.2, so typing emacs doesn't launch emacs anymore.
The link 'Applications > Accessories > Emacs Text Editor' is also broken.
An alias in /etc/bashrc took care of this, but it's slightly annoying.
Is this a known issue?
- NVIDIA proprietary drivers don't work, but that's not really a Fedora
problem. The nv driver works fine, however, and brings up the
correct resolution and color depth.

Overall, it was a remarkably painless experience.
Nicely done, Fedora people! :-)

Smolt ID for the interested: b2cd911d-7e2d-4397-ac16-c3f0a9eda567

Thanks,
Waqas