Anything New on nVidia?

Teo Fonrouge fedora-list at windtelsoft.com
Sat May 10 16:12:41 UTC 2008

On Saturday 10 May 2008 10:08:19 am David Nielsen wrote:
> 2008/5/10 Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com>:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 16:18 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
> > > Any guess on how long after F9 come out that they will appear?
> > >
> > > Arch
> >
> > Given nVidia's past behavior, I'd venture and guess that a new driver
> > will be released shortly after the X.org R7.4 release. (Which hopefully
> > be before July.)
> >
> > However, given that fact that nVidia has released a number of new
> > graphics card (9500/9600/9800) - that require the beta driver (173.08,
> > using it here on my 9800GTX, has horrible 2D performance), a new beta
> > driver can be expected any day now. (Hopefully with preliminary r7.4
> > support.)
>
> I did a little bit of research and it turns out the 183.08 driver has
> experimental support for the X version we ship in F9.

Maybe you had a typo, 183.08 does not exist (yet) the last nvidia beta driver
is 173.08 (10-apr)

That said, you need to apply a patch to the driver in order to build the
driver with a 2.6.26+ kernel:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112007&page=3

However, this driver has not 3D support (you need to 'Disable "glx"' in the
Module section of the xorg config file) and also has not ABI support for the
current X server version, so you need to start the X server with
the --ignoreABI command line parameter.

Seems that the folks at nVidia are waiting for the final 1.5 xorg server to be
released.

best regards

Teo Fonrouge