Anything New on nVidia?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat May 10 17:41:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 11:12 -0500, Teo Fonrouge wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008 10:08:19 am David Nielsen wrote:

> > > Given nVidia's past behavior, I'd venture and guess that a new driver
> > > will be released shortly after the X.org R7.4 release. (Which hopefully
> > > be before July.)
> > >
> > > However, given that fact that nVidia has released a number of new
> > > graphics card (9500/9600/9800) - that require the beta driver (173.08,
> > > using it here on my 9800GTX, has horrible 2D performance), a new beta
> > > driver can be expected any day now. (Hopefully with preliminary r7.4
> > > support.)
> >
> > I did a little bit of research and it turns out the 183.08 driver has
> > experimental support for the X version we ship in F9.
>
> Maybe you had a typo, 183.08 does not exist (yet) the last nvidia beta driver
> is 173.08 (10-apr)
>
> That said, you need to apply a patch to the driver in order to build the
> driver with a 2.6.26+ kernel:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112007&page=3
>
> However, this driver has not 3D support (you need to 'Disable "glx"' in the
> Module section of the xorg config file) and also has not ABI support for the
> current X server version, so you need to start the X server with
> the --ignoreABI command line parameter.
>
> Seems that the folks at nVidia are waiting for the final 1.5 xorg server to be
> released.

...Which in turn makes this beta driver harder to set up, as well as no
more functional, than the default nVidia driver that comes with F9 now.
Perhaps the beta nVidia driver is arguably even less functional.

I guess we will just have to wait (albeit a bit impatiently in my case).

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you are calm while all around you is chaos,

--Unknown