icewm has no programs

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 12 16:04:35 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> I'm not sure that this is that-uncommon (given the target user-base of
> IceWM - very-low-end-machines - such as my 10 y/o laptop...) - again,
> generating the menus is a CPU and I/O intensive task.

We have timed this?

> In theory, I can install this icewm-xdgmenu by default, have it run
> @post, and let the users regenerate the menus manually - but then I
> would most likely get a lot of "why-isn't-program-X-in-my-menu" bug
> reports.

Every properly packaged program (MUST in Fedora packaging guidelines)
would have a .desktop file and the program would show up as defined by
xdg spec. This is what we should support out of the box regardless of
the desktop environment. If the programs don't show up on the menu
automatically, wouldn't that indicate a packaging bug?

> It would have been nice if I had an apt-like "suggest" feature built
> into yum/rpm/etc.

Suggest is probably going to rpm.org upstream soon and has been patched
by various distros for a while now. However it can be a pain for
automated installations (do you install soft deps or not?), QA (test
with and without the optional dependencies) and should be used very
carefully.

Rahul