Upgrade -> rawhide disaster

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 17:18:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
<mjc at avtechpulse.com> wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
> > On reboot, it hung a long time on bringing up eth0, and failed.  This
> never
> > had a problem on F8.

> > No wired shown in NM.  Don't know why.
> >

>  I tried upgrading to rawhide on Saturday (May 10).
>
>  My machine had a static IP, and as a result the networking was completely
> botched. Mercifully it was a local machine, not a remote one.
>
>  I had to disable NetworkManager, delete all ".bak" interfaces in
> system-config-network, and re-configure eth0.
>
>  This will be a killer bug for anyone doing remote upgrades...
>
>  - Mike

I have a static IP.  In s-c-n, am I supposed to say NM controlled=yes
or NM controlled=no?

NM controlled =yes in one sense might mean "Can NM turn this on for
you given the static IP address and DNS setting"?

Saying  NM Controlled = NO may mean "can we turn on eth0 for you, ignoring NM?"

Or NM controlled = yes might mean "Should NM try to run DHCP for you
and destroy your IP settings and erase the DNS?"

See what I mean?  It is unclear what the option means.

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science