icewm has no programs

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 13 01:31:50 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 20:59 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>
>>> Undeclared, by design.
>>> Some people might want to define the menus manually.
>> You are optimizing for the uncommon use cases which is the wrong thing
>> to do IMO.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> I'm not sure that this is that-uncommon (given the target user-base of
> IceWM - very-low-end-machines - such as my 10 y/o laptop...) - again,
> generating the menus is a CPU and I/O intensive task.

In the scale common/uncommon, you're ignoring the common case - someone
installs the software and expects it to "Just Work(TM)."

Once they have some skills, then they might fiddle with it.

And, you will impose less load by only doing it when needed (ie there's
been a s relevant system change), and speedier login by not doing it at
all at that time.

--

Cheers
John