icewm has no programs

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 13 01:36:24 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 21:34 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure that this is that-uncommon (given the target user-base of
>>> IceWM - very-low-end-machines - such as my 10 y/o laptop...) - again,
>>> generating the menus is a CPU and I/O intensive task.
>> We have timed this?
>
> I have timed it.
> On machines ranging from PII/266/256MB to 16-core-Xeon/256GB RAM...
>
> ... Needless to say, the Xeon fared much better :)
>
>>> In theory, I can install this icewm-xdgmenu by default, have it run
>>> @post, and let the users regenerate the menus manually - but then I
>>> would most likely get a lot of "why-isn't-program-X-in-my-menu" bug
>>> reports.
>> Every properly packaged program (MUST in Fedora packaging guidelines)
>> would have a .desktop file and the program would show up as defined by
>> xdg spec. This is what we should support out of the box regardless of
>> the desktop environment. If the programs don't show up on the menu
>> automatically, wouldn't that indicate a packaging bug?
>
> OK. Let me start from the beginning.
> Icewm's support for desktop files is problematic.
> It's far slower then normal (manual) menus and you have a lot of missing
> icons/applications/etc.
>
> In essence, icewm works best with text-based menus - mostly because it
> was designed around it.
>
> In-order to get full menus, with user-selectable icon themes, without
> sacrificing performance, I used Konstantin Korikov xdg-to-icewm menu
> generator. (Credit where credit is due)
>
> You should understand that unlike GNOME/KDE/XFCE Icewm is essentially a
> text-file driven WM.
>
> Menus, toolbars, WM options, startup scripts are all text based.

I don't have a problem with it sticking with its existing
menu/options/startup etc.

I do think it should respect the conventions that apply in Fedora (and
its relatives), and my cursory reading of RPM's triggers suggests that
the triggers mechanism provides a way of keeping properly synchronised.

Hopefully, the work to do it is light and educational.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait