F8 -> F9 preupgrade

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed May 14 13:59:48 UTC 2008

Klaasjan Brand wrote:

<snip>

> Another small bug I've found which could be handled better is that the
> kernel from Fedora 9 swapped my sda and sdb disks (I've got a SATA and
> an IDE disk in my system), and anaconda isn't able to find the stage2
> image (there's a prompt asking for the correct disk, but none of the
> options work).
>
> Kj

</snip>

Had experienced the similar problem with externally usb connected HD (
#445650 )
The line that Preupgrade added to grub.conf marked stage2 on sdb while
anaconda search for it on sdc
Try changing the stage2 line in grub to sdb or visa versa and see if you
get further.

Either this is an anaconda problem or preupgrade. ( My money's on anaconda )
I think one way to solve this is for preupgrade to do some check to
to take into account for external/extra HD and adjust the grub entry
appropriately to "match"
what anaconda might thinking it to be..
sda becomes sdb, sdb becomes sdc etc.

Best regards.