avahi exclusion principle

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun May 18 06:22:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 02:04 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was doing some cleanup with rpm -Va and discovered some oddities?
>
> Is:
> avahi-0.6.22-10.fc9.i386
> and
> avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
> supposed to be able to coexist on the same computer at the same time?
No.

> Or is this a matter or a missed obsoletes somewhere since both of
> those packages seem to be in my rpm DB?
No.

Such duplicated rpmdb entries indicate something having gone utterly
wrong when installing a package, either underneath of yum/apt or deeply
inside of rpm.

> For that matter, are there any packages with the fc7 tag still valid
> on F9?
They may be valid, they may not be valid. Provided Fedora's current
package naming rules, these tags are not of much importance in an
installation.

A package using '*.fc9' only means that the packager had been using
dist-tags inside of his rpm.specs and that the package has been built
after fc8. I.e. a package using "*.fc7" may well be valid/current for
FC9.

>  If not, that would provide me with some low hanging cruft.
Check the "package-cleanup" utility from the yum-utils package.

Unless your rpmdb is corrupt (your symptoms above could be in indication
for such breakdown), package-cleanup should enable you to sort out your
issues.

Ralf