Fedora 9 updates-testing report

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Sun May 18 09:07:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 12:33 +0430, Adrin Jalali wrote:
> Although I'm proud of using fedora as it is Bleeding Edge of software,
> but I think the unstable part of project should be tested by
> fedora-testers, not end users, they(end users) must always feel
> stable, don't you think so?

Not always possible in the real world,
as they are so many variables hw\sw.
The testers cannot cover everything,
and the end-user will get some problems.

I am also an end-user, and am more than happy with Fedora 9.
The end-user in many cases will hold off the update,
and wait for their particular concerns to be fixed\worked on.

> As far as fedora use pre-release versions of softwares, it means that
> fedora developers are so courage that they use the Bleeding Edge of
> software, it's so good and appreciated.

ditto

>  But I think what reaches the end users, must be the last stable
> versions of softwares, not unstable pre-release ones. As a result, I
> can not see any movie in my fedora 9 release yet.

I don't use the pc for tv so can't comment on this.

> Do you think it's normal? As another illustration I think fedora must
> let users chose their X server.

You can
http://www.x.org/wiki/

> I have an ATI Mobility Radeon and as the driver is not prepared
> completely yet, I can not use the 3D acceleration capabilities of my
> graphic card.

Talk to http://www.amd.com/us-en/
about sharing their source, with developers.

Frank