Fedora 9 updates-testing report

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed May 21 04:13:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 18:30 -0700, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> Hi Rahul
> PS. It would be nice if the English used here was more
> international.
> For example, in French, I can sit on a chair, stand on the floor, but
> I cannot talk to you on Fedora.  Please use "about" for "on", and/or
> "concerning".

I have to disagree with you on that :-)

> Also ending a sentence with "from" as "there are two versions to
> choose from."  I believe the better way for non American english iss
> to write  "there are two versions from which to chose."

(BTW, here it's choose, not chose)

Churchill once said "this is the kind of nonsense up with which I will
not put", referring to the rule about not ending a sentence with a
preposition. The fact is that that this happens all the time (as does
the split infinitive: to boldly go) and the "rule" is an invention by
early grammarians who were fixated on Latin, in which these things are
impossible. English is different, and neither of the usages you mention
are particular by any means to American English.

poc

PS My Dad was an English teacher :-)