2.6.25 kernel, MadWifi and the Atheros 5007 card

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat May 24 02:53:10 UTC 2008

For those with the Atheros 5007 card, unfortunately, the 2.6.25 kernel
requires a patch for the Madwifi source to build.

Also unfortunately, this patch breaks the patched snapshot that works
with the AR5007EG card.

However, the encouraging news is that judging from the Madwifi ticket
1679, (probably familiar to all with the card) soon the patches for the
5007EG card will become part of the stock Madwifi.

This isn't something that I'd consider a bug on anyone's part, save
perhaps for Atheros, for making it so hard to get this card work with
Linux.  I would consider it more of an unfortunate situation.

At any rate, for those who do have machines with that card, and who are
still following rawhide, this information might be useful.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Oh. Okay. You and Willow go do the superpower thing, I'll
stay behind and putt around the Batcave with crusty old Alfred
here.
Giles: Ah-ah, no. I am no Alfred, sir. No, you forget. Alfred had
a job.