possible evdev issue?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:00:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 20:04 +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> On my machine I don't need the sudo bit; reboot from my normal user just
> >> works. Perhaps the sudo part makes it nastier ?
> >>

> > Does it ask for the root password? If so, it's the same as using sudo.
> > If not, something is seriously broken in your system.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Well I also never type sudo for reboot. Also the system menu lets me
> reboot without asking for a password. I thought that this was a feature
> of Fedora, the master console can issue a reboot command.

You're both right. I just tried it and to my astonishment it worked. I'd
only ever done it from a root shell. I suppose the logic is that it's
equivalent to hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del or the hard reset button, however it
also means a remote user could reboot the system without a root
password, which seems strange to me.

poc