Problem setting up wired networking

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 20:20:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 19:02 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Jesse, system-config-network worries me.  The hardware tab tells me that my
> wired connection, Realtek 8101E, is eth1, but the devices tab says that it is
> eth0.  I see there is a network script for ifcfg-eth0, but not eth1, so I
> guess that's the correct (as well as logical) one.
>
> Unless you have some ideas on something that I can manually edit to deal with
> this, I guess I need to file a bug.

Forgive me, but what is the desired outcome of your configuration?
Hopefully you can achieve that without having to invoke
system-config-network.

System-config-network is (mostly) for dealing with the old "network"
service.  NetworkManager has it's own config integrated to the applet
that will allow you do to things such as setup (multiple) static
configurations for your wired or wireless interfaces and choose between
them on the fly using the applet, as well as have one system config that
is applied at boot time (not after login, at boot time).

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!