Fedora 10 Preview results

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 19:20:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 11:18 -0500, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
> > If I had to pick one thing to complain about it would be the speed
> > drop.  F10 continues the trend toward slower performance on the same
> > hardware.  Boot time isn't bad but the time from login to the desktop
> > finishing to load is appalling and that should be happening more often
> > that booting anyway.
> Behdad has been improving login time.  See:
>
> http://mces.blogspot.com/2008/10/improving-login-time-part-1-gnome.html
> and
> http://mces.blogspot.com/2008/11/improving-login-time-part-2-gnome.html
>
> I don't know if his fixes will make F10 GA though.

Perhaps slightly OT, but I've measured a huge improvement in OpenGL
performance on moving from F9 to F10 on the same hardware. On F9 last
time I measured with glxgears I was getting around 150fps. Now it's over
1200fps (full disclosure: a few months ago it was around 750fps; I
complained about the degradation a while back here). This on an Intel
965 chipset with onboard video.

poc