NetworkManager connection to encrypted Wireless Network

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 13 09:54:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 13 November 2008 01:57:05 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear fellow testers,
>
> I have a machine with wireless card that NetworkManager identifies but
> cannot connect.  The Administrator at school tried to connect it, but
> gnome-keyring came out and asked for the password.  I put in my own root
> password, but the connection failed :(.  The network is encrypted and it
> has a key and he put the key, but gnome-keyring gets in the way and I am
> denied a connection.  What can I do to make this machine connect with
> wireless?
>
> In the other case, when a wire is present it connects without problems.
>
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_52cf9c16-aa07-4697-8df6-7b47eb9855f4
> (public)
>
> The machine has a wireless nic supported by Atheros ath5k driver
> (Thanks to Mr. Linville and all other contributors to the project, the card
> is identified and it tries to connect)
>
> The card is an
> Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC
>
> I do not know the password to the gnome-keyring.  The network adminstrator
> can put the key in but that keyring pops up and destroys everything.  On
> windoze the machine picks up without problems.  I would like to have the
> same functionality on the Linux side if possible.
>
> Thank you in advance for all your help/suggestions/advice.

This may be related to the problems I described in my lengthy thread "Problem
setting up wired networking" (wired got sorted, then wireless became
problematic).  Mine also uses the ath5k driver, and I seem to have problems
passing the keys as well, so I'll be following your thread with interest.

Anne