Problem setting up wired networking

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Fri Nov 14 15:14:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 01:38:19PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008 12:53:06 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I have used Mandriva (2009 at present), Xandros and Linpus Lite on
> > > roaming laptops, and every one of them manages wireless networks without
> > > a problem.
> >
> > To be honest, NM works better for me under Fedora-10 than Fedora-9
> > on a Thinkpad T43.
> >
> > But occasionally it does not work, and then I find the messages I read
> > in /var/log/messages completely unintelligible and unhelpful.
> > I've simply found as a matter of experiment
> > that I have to re-boot the machine, and then it will probably work,
> > with probability 0.8 .
> >
> > But I don't think computing should be a matter of
> > experiment and probability.
> >
> > What I would like is a message along the following lines:
> > "We connected to the AP, but your DHCP request was rejected", or
> > "We are unable to initialize your WiFi card".
> >
> > Something, in other words, that might help me to correct the problem.
> >
> > Incidentally, Anne mentioned Xandros.
> > I'm really embarrassed that my grand-daughter's EeePC 4G
> > (ie the cheapest of the cheap) running Xandros
> > connects faultlessly to WiFi wherever she is.
> > I wonder what WiFi program that uses?
> > (She is in Australia at the moment, so I cannot examine the machine.)
>
> Mine is the original 701, and yes, it's wireless performance is impressive.
> It uses wpa_supplicant.

FWIW, using plain wpa_supplicant works for me just fine on a 901, and with
a little patching of the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless,
I can even use the usual ifup/ifdown commands with my wifi interface.

Regards,
R.

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>  |  LAN  Staff
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling