F10 on Asus N10J netbook

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 18 12:11:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:51:17AM +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:

>     On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 05:27:03PM -0500, David A. De Graaf wrote:
>     >
>     > 4)  Permissions that are automatically set for /dev/snd/* prevent
>     > users from using the sound devices.  I have been unable to find the
>     > "proper" way to undo this travesty,
>

>     > Pulseaudio is a travesty and abomination.
>
>     That sounds a bit too overgeneralized; but did you bother to look at
>     'man pulseaudio'?

>     I use Linux since RH9 aka Shrike and still can't stand pulseaudio.

One does wonder.  Without arguing the merits of any of these decisions,
one does wonder, as RHEL6 is supposedly going to be based upon F9 and
F10, if the powers that be at RH pay any attention to the community's
general disapproval of pulse-audio, tying sound to consolekit and making
consolekit far more difficult to turn off, packagekit, the removal of root
login in gdm, plymouth, the closer tie-ins to Gnome in general, etc.

Again, I'm not arguing one way or the other.  However, judging from
forums and various personal conversations, the people most annoyed are
usually RH's target, the sysadmin types.

When I say community
disapproval, I don't necessarily mean everyone--again, I'm referring to
my own experience, general impression from the Fedora forums, and private
emails and conversations.

I repeat one more time, that I am not arguing here that any of these are
good or bad decisions.  I'm simply saying that my experience is that
many sysadmin types are displeased with many of these decisions.

Especially when one considers how the next crop of sysadmins will
probably come from the Ubuntu generation, I sometimes think RH may
really start losing some of their market share if they ignore this.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Ampata wasn't evil. At least, not to begin with.
And...I do think she cared
about you.
Xander: Yeah, but I think that whole sucking the life out of people
thing
would've been a strain on the relationship.