F10 on Homebuilt Box - Absolutely Brutal...!!!!

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 19 13:27:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 14:12 +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 07:25 -0700, Christopher A. Williams
>         wrote:
>
>         > Motherboard:
>         > eVGA e7100/630i
>         > This MB uses nVidia onboard GeForce 7100 video with the
>         nForce 630i
>         > chipset. It also uses nVidia MCP73 High Definition Audio
>

>         Do you have an X log showing what happens when you run the nv
>         driver?
>
>         - ajax
>
>         --

> The nv driver doesn't support your hardware.
>
> --
> Aioanei Rares
> schaiba at fedoraproject.org
> "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese." --Charles de
> Gaulle

...ummm I think we figured that part out already.

Where we are now is trying to figure out why we don't fall back
correctly to vesa mode without an xorg.conf file so that we can complete
a graphical install. That allows us to then install the proprietary
"nvidia" driver, which is supported and works great.

Care to contribute there? ...Or perhaps you can help nVidia see the
light about providing the documentation needed for the nv driver to
support the GeForce 7100 series?

Speaking of falling back to vesa mode, it would seem to me that, since
system-config-display --reconfig _does_ correctly fall back vesa mode on
this card (and sets up an xorg.conf file that also successfully uses
it), perhaps the solution lies somewhere in that code as an example.
Possible...?

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a

--Cowboy Wisdom