Evolution and the Global Catalog Server - Debacle

William Murray bill.murray at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 17:35:51 UTC 2008

  I hope the MAPI branch works for you.

I use the exchange-owa plugin. For a desktop inside the corporate
firewall it is fine to use the Global Catalog Server. But outside the
firewall you need to tunnel in just for that, while the email/calendar
bit works fine over http/OWA.
    But you have to open the tunnel before you start evolution because
otherwise it hangs for a minute waiting for the GCS to time out, and
then evo hangs FOREVER if you start the tunnel while it is running.
   So I just gave up and disabled the GCS on my laptop. I just isn't
worth the hassle. And guess what - evolution never crashes with the GCS
disabled  - it used to crash every week, if not every day.
          Bill

--
Bill Murray                     ----                       ATLAS
RAL, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0QX, UK.