can't install base system using CD 1

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Sun Nov 23 07:41:04 UTC 2008

Mikel Ward wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just tried to install the Fedora 10 i386 preview using only the first CD.
>
> Even after going to "customize packages now" and deselecting all
> non-essential packages, including Office and Productivity on the first
> screen, and then all the boxes not under Base System on the second
> screen (e.g. GNOME Desktop, Graphical Internet, Editors, Graphics,
> etc, etc.), it still told me I needed CD 1 and CD 2, and I could not
> go back.
>
> This left me with a re-formatted root partition and no bootable OS.
>
> Please take steps to ensure at least the base operating system
> packages are all available on CD 1.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

It would seem from your description that the install scenario should be
as follows:

1) Select a set of packages.
2) Advise as to which CDs are required for the install
2a) Give user option to return to selection criteria
2b) Don't alter the disk until the user accepts the install scenario
3) Follow the computed install script

Are you complaining that step 2a didn't exist or are you complaining
that after step 3 starts there is no turning back.