Connecting to Vista share using rawhide release candidate (fc10)

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Tue Nov 25 03:31:44 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote, On 11/24/2008 01:28 PM:
>> If from gnome I try to connect to Places/connect to server/Windows
>> Share and enter the name of the vista computer, I get and error box
>> saying Cannot disply location "smb://myvistacomputer/" No application
>> is registered as handing this file.  Yet, if I use the ip address of
>> the vista computer I get access to the shares on the vista machine.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do right?  The vista
>> machine s ip address is not static and changes as computers on the
>> network are rebooted, etc.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Does the following look familiar/similar to your problem?
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-November/msg01155.html
>
> i.e. Microsoft changed something to fix a known bug(MS08-068), and it
> messed up the way SMB authentication is done from a windows machine to a
> samba server machine.  perhaps it messed it up the other way around too.

Fully updated rawhide.

I can see the linux shares from vista, not the other way.  I don't know
about the patch--I uninstalled it and no change in behavior on linux
machine.  Any idea how smb.conf should look? I used to be able to see
windows shares from all the previous flavors of Fedora as back as (I
think) FC 2.