F10 Beta testing resaults :)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Oct 1 10:16:48 UTC 2008

greg wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 08:34 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Instead of being forcing new IM down the end users throat,
>> let the users come to the IM client..
>>
>> When the IM has something better to offer they will switch...
>>

> im all for Pidgin still, dont get me wrong, its like this though , some
> of us Like PackageKit,, some dont so they just remove it, simple,, an
> your Not being Forced to use Empathy, its like saying Microsoft is
> Forcing you to use Windows Live Messenger, there Not, if its Empathy is
> Made Default in fedora10, my first thing will be is to remove it an
> install Pidgin, .its like Mono to, some hate Mono, some dont mind it,,
> its like Beagle, some like it an some remove it, but to say " there
> forcing Empathy down our throats is Missleading to say the least.

We are at impasse  :)

I am perfectly aware of how easy it is to replace applications but is your
gram ma or your daughter.

Changing end users IM is a pretty big step and cant be done
just like that.

You have to realize that people are using this for communication every day.

This is as vital to the end user as their web browser,
email client phone and so on. ( Do I dare to say air )

Before this step is taken the IM has to be thoroughly tested
It has to offer something that the other IM does not.
( If it does not why replace it?? )

I say let's some other distro than Fedora be the test platform for Empathy
or .

A.
Let the community vote if Empathy should be the default IM shipped with
Fedora
( Thats never going to happen )

B.
Hold off shipping Empathy as the default IM with Fedora at least one if
not 2 release cycle...
( Let it "Mature" then ship it as the default with F11 or F12 )

C. Have both of them part of the default install for F10, F11
( Nothing in the rule book that says we cant have both as part of an
default install )
and let's revisit this issue during the F12 release cycle
and perhaps make Empathy the default IM for F12.

JBG.