f10beta hard drive install

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:43:46 UTC 2008

I tried to do a hard drive install of f10beta but could not get it to work.
It's possible I'm doing something stupid though.  Here's what I tried:

I always have problems with burning CDs and DVDs, so I don't bother
even trying anymore... since I'm doing a hard drive install and have
a working grub on my hard drive, I have just added an "install f10"
option to grub.  I did this by loopback mounting the DVD image
and copying isolinux/initrd.img and isolinux/vmlinuz to /boot.  Then
I modified grub to point to those files:

title Fedora 10
Install

        root
(hd0,5)

        kernel /boot/vmlinuz.install ro
root=UUID=b65d5932-9eb3-4013-5d48-7e2420b78253 askmethod
        initrd /boot/initrd.img

It seems like it's working, but then when I tell it to do a hard drive
install and where the install image directory is, it says it can't find it.
I hit Alt-F[2-7] and found a message implying it was looking for a
file named install.img in the install image directory.  But I'm sure
I've never put a file named install.img in that directory.  Do I need
to rename Fedora-10-Beta-i386-DVD.iso to install.img?  With older
releases, hard drive installs automagically found the iso file.

So am I doing something wrong or are hard drive installs broken?

Thanks,

                        David