XO: Not so good so far

Josh Bressers bressers at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 11:29:26 UTC 2008

> I was having similar issues. I added the persistent overlay and a swap
> partition and that helped a lot. It would lock up before and now it is
> slightly more usable. When I run top it reports about 85% idle on the
> cpu. The tips here
> http://katzj.livejournal.com/440444.html
> helped but didn't quite work I had to look here
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#Errors_and_Solutions
> to get it all working.

I admit, using the SD card for swap scares me a bit.  There are a finite number of
writes available on those cards, and if you're hitting the swap hard, it's going
to wear the card out.

>From the small amount of testing I've done up to this point, I question if Gnome
is going to be usable.  It eats up most of the RAM, leaving no space for
anything else (like Firefox, which is also a pig).

I put together an XFCE spin last night to give that a try.  it works much
better, which is no doubt expected.

So the question for the Fedora folks heading this up, is what are the expectations
here?  Does this HAVE to run Gnome, or is something like XFCE acceptable?

Is the goal to run a custom spin, or to use one of the existing live images?

--
    JB