audio pops and snaps?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Oct 14 02:40:36 UTC 2008

All -

I have an Abit KN8 SLI motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Processor 4600+ (Socket 939) and 4GB memory.  The sound card is an
on-board nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2).

I installed off the F10 x86_64 beta DVD ISO image and updated against
rawhide about an hour ago.

I'm noticing a *lot* of audio pops and snaps.  For instance, I use
Pidgin and I have sound events turned on for pretty much everything.
Often the snaps come as a sound event occurs like someone "speaking" on
IRC - instead of a clear note when someone "talks" there is a snap and
then the note.  Also, when someone joins or leaves, the note is often
(but not always) interrupted by either a short sound dropout or a pop.

In other cases, just sitting here typing away on this e-mail with no
sound event being triggered, I hear a pop.

This system works great with RHEL 5.2 installed, and I don't recall any
audio issues under F9.  This seems to be unique to F10/rawhide.

BZ 466840 filed.

TC