XO: Success with 4 Gig Card

Michael Solberg msolberg at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 13:11:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 09:03 -0400, Rich Sharples wrote:
> Thanks for the update - I'd previously got that far *and* even had the
> patience to get on my home Wifi - after that my XO hung / went
> completely glacial.
>
> I'll try the latest recipe later tonight.
>
> I presume the build we're using has the absolute bear minimum services
> enabled so no pruning is required ?

I didn't find pruning services all that important - if you boot the
stock image to run level 3, you'll only see around 40MB of RSS.  The
killer is the GNOME desktop stuff.  You can save maybe 10MB by turning
off setroubleshoot and another few MB by turning off bluetooth, but the
real advantages are in tuning the GNOME session.

Also - swap is essential -

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/XO_Performance#Swap_space.3F

has instructions for turning on swap once your XO has booted.

Michael.