How to test Plymouth on Fedora 10 with Intel graphic cards?

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 14:33:52 UTC 2008

Hi,
> Hi, I have several laptops all with different Intel graphic cards
> (915, 945 ...) and I would like to test plymouth if it is possible.
> Now when I boot rawhide (Fedora 10) I don't get grub but only a black
> screen and after that I see black screen with white-blue progress bar
> (not impressed).
> Do I need even newer intel drivers than ones in Rawhide?
>
> Is there a way to use latest intel drivers (if needed) or to somehow
> enable plymouth and to see how it should work?

Unfortunately, the latest intel drivers don't do modesetting by default.

It's actually hard to enable modesetting for testing purposes too,
because we don't write the pciids the card supports into the driver (for
mkinitrd to find it).

Dave Airlie is going to fix that at some point, but right now intel
users are stuck with a text splash.

To get to grub, hold down any key during boot up (say shift or ctrl).

--Ray