Fedora-10 killed my computer ...

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Oct 26 20:38:50 UTC 2008

Has anyone found the F10 has done something nasty to their BIOS?

I transferred the Fedora-10-Snap3-i686-Live-KDE.iso
to a USB stick following the instructions at
<http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-making-media.html>.
This went fine; I like the new (I think) liveusb-creator program.

I used the USB stick to install Fedora-10 on two Thinkpads.
Then I tried it on a machine with an Asus/AMD motherboard.
The Live CD seemed to start OK, but then it froze.

Now for the disaster.
When I went to re-boot the machine
it said "NO Keyboard Detected --- Press F1".
On pressing F1 I found that the keyboard was indeed disabled.
But after a couple of seconds Fedora - the default OS - booted,
and when it started the keyboard was working normally.

I changed the default to Windows in grub.conf , and re-booted.
Again, I could not change the chosen OS as the keyboard was disabled,
but Windows started up fine.

I could not get back to Fedora easily, as I could not access grub.conf
in Windows; but I was able to use a Knoppix CD
to mount Fedora \boot , and edit grub.conf .

Now, my question is:
Was the fact that this happened after running F10
a pure coincidence?

I'm intending to look at the CMOS battery,
and perhaps try re-installing the BIOS.
Any other suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net