Java browser plugin/Liveconnect support status (and request to test!)

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 20:55:54 UTC 2008

Hi All,

As some of you already know, we have been working on getting Liveconnect
support into Fedora 10 via the new Iced Tea Plugin. Liveconnect is a
feature that allows JavaScript from a browser (Firefox) to access
Java, and vice-versa. The newest build of OpenJDK
(java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-2b12.fc10 --
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=907625) should have
the latest of the plugin code. This will be in tomorrow's (2008-10-28)
rawhide.

Barring any critical bugs, this is the version of the plugin that will
go into Fedora 10. If you use any applets that don't work and would
like to see them working in F10, please try it out and file bugs
accordingly; I will try my best to squeeze in as many fixes as possible.

Also, while most users will not have to do this: If you use the Sun Java
Plugin, or if applets do not work after installing the new plugin rpm,
you may also need to set the plugin via alternatives. This is done by
'alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so' on i386, and
'alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64' on x86_64

Known issues:
- chessgames.com has some drawing problems -- this is being worked on
- WebEx works, but requires firefox to be restarted for the first use
- Pages with cache_* params (very small percentage) may not work

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I cannot take all the credit for this nice feature :) This is a
result of joint work between Tom Fitzsimmons (who started the project and
continues to provide input) and myself.