Will shared swap bite me?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 31 02:11:39 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 06:06:35PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have to set up a machine as dual boot 32/64 bit and I would really love
>> to not waste space on swap partitions being duplicated if I don't have
>> to. That said, if I do two installs and use the same swap partition, what
>> evil will come of it?
>
> No problems.  I do it all the time when testing/switching between
> different Fedora releases.
>
>> The only obvious issue I see is suspending the non-default kernel and
>> trying to boot the other (found that in FC6) and I can avoid that. Any
>> other know issues I have to avoid?
>
> Yeah, you definately don't want to hibernate to swap on one OS and try
> to boot the other.  You'll just lose your hibernated system and leave
> the filesystems in inconsistent state.  In general it is very bad to
> boot /anything/ other that the original hibernated kernel when after
> you have hibernated.  That's why grub doesn't show you a menu when you
> boot up in a hibernated state.

_I_ don't think I'd like that. I _can_ hibernate Windows, run Linux,
then resume Windows. I've not hibernated Linux at all except
accidentally (FC3 I recalled resumed then shutdown, I lost interest then).

>> The object is to run one 64 bit program without reinstalling the whole
>> stable 32 bit environment.
>
> Why not go all 64-bit?  I've been using it, and have had zero issues
> with 32/64 bit compatibility.

I've been running pure 64-bit Fedora and SL5 with no problems that
concerned me: I don't know what, if any, browser plugins work, and don't
really care. I don't like flash!

--

Cheers
John