Rawhide Skype

Oisin Feeley oisin.feeley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:54:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am running Skype on Fedora 9 and rawhide.
> On one laptop (with intel sound card) it works fine in F9 but with
> same settings it crashes in F10!!! on my desktop in F10 it works fine
> but with a different sound card.
> It seems that pulse make it crash...

Hi Antonio,

Unfortunately there's probably not much that can be done because Skype is
closed-source. Debugging it is going to be practically impossible for anyone
on this list or in the Fedora Project in general. It would probably be best
to report[1] the issue to Skype Technologies themselves. Be warned though
that Linux is a fairly low priority for them.

I'm sure you need to use Skype (because of colleagues and friends using it),
but if you are lucky enough to be able to influence the people with whom you
communicate you might find that Ekiga[2] works well. I've been very happy
with it for over two years now and they're just releasing a new version
(3.0).  Ekiga (unlike Skype) is packaged and included in the standard Fedora
repositories and you are more likely to be able to receive support.

Good luck,
Oisin Feeley

1. http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showforum=18
2. http://www.gnomemeeting.org/