Problems Installing Rawhide

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 19:26:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:12 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> > For some time now I have not been able to get the Rawhide boot.iso
> > tp install with the repo=nfs:server:path trick.
>
> boot.iso contains files and such that will allow you to boot a system
> and start the installer, but it does NOT contain the installable image.
> You don't install from boot.iso.

Not entirely true anymore.  The installer image is now located entirely
on boot.iso and you just need to point to a repo of packages.  But
there's been some instability on network methods with the landing of
using NetworkManager instead of our old code.

> Now, as far as an FTP or NFS install, the installer doesn't want an iso
> file, it wants the files from the ISO image as a file system.You'd
> need to mount the DVD ISO image at some point in the NFS server's
> filesystem, export that mountpoint via NFS, and use THAT share as the
> target:

nfsiso should also work, although I think we now require that you
explicitly call out that it's nfsiso with repo=nfsiso: and not just
repo=nfs:.   clumens would know better than me

Jeremy