Login as root is impossible

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 00:09:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:22:44PM -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> I have to pipe in here now with a rant...
> After being able to log in as root for 30 years...
> who has the right to decide I'm not allowed to?
>
> (In broad sweeping strokes he writes...)
> Why are more and more restrictions being placed on functionality?
> Why do new versions of software have fewer features than the old versions?

I keep thinking about this, and I guess the developers are caught
between the proverbial rock and hard place--when the newcomers get
hacked or wreck their machine, they blame the coders.

I don't like it either--I keep thinking we're forgetting the line that
Unix doesn't keep you from doing stupid things because that would stop
you from doing smart things.  I'm not sure why RH itself, being, at this
point, aimed more at the server market, AFAICT, gets itself so tied into
Gnome (though Rahul and other have done the KDE spins, in general it's
really becoming a Gnome-centric thing.

Actually, it's not, as I'm sure you're aware, just Fedora--there seem to
be very few distributions left that aren't gradually simplifying.

Yet again--I guess the poor developers get it from both sides.  Thoughk,
despite all the newcomer friendliness, I notice that most of them who
post on this list use mutt.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Generally speaking, when scary things get scared, not
good.