Login as root is impossible

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Thu Sep 11 17:31:37 UTC 2008

This doesn't seem very user friendly to me.
Windoz lets you login as Administrator.

And all of the Alt Ctrl keys aren't very friendly either.
Seems like there should be a help button to tell you what they are.

I would think that root should be allowed to login and run only the things
that a normal user can and has to enter the root password.

If we really don't want root to login, then I think that root should be
listed as a user with the red circle with the line through it, so people
will know, no root login.  Or just say that, or if you enter the root
username, pop up a box that says no root login, use Alt whatever to login as
root. But be a little more friendly about it. Don't just slam the door and
leave people wondering, did I fat finger the root password?

What should decide if they can run something as root?
If go to the command line and su to root and run firefox should it come back
and tell me I am root and can't run it?