No control in frequency selector - intentional or a big mistake

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at wowway.com
Tue Sep 16 11:15:49 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 07:40:31PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Being that I sometimes prefer to slow down the frequency when a program
>> maxes out my CPU speed, I use the frequency selector frequently.
>>
>> Where did it go?
>> How can I get it back?
>> Is there another "on the fly applet that now performs this valuable
>> function?
>>
>> Basically, who cares if the frequency is maxed out unless you can also
>> change the frequency of the CPU.
>
> What purpose does slowing down the CPU frequency serve for you?

It allows me to slow down the speed of the processor and prevent the
unit from abruptly shutting down by thermal protection pre-OS level.

The laptop is fairly old since Severn was the first version installed on
this machine.

The control seems to be missing only in runlevel 5. Runlevel 3 works for
both the governor and sound control. RL5 seems to be degrading to a
level of total failure and equivalent to WinMS with lack of control in
VT, frequency control, reliable sound functionality and the like.

I'd like VTs and frequency control as standard for GUI mode as well as
in RL3.

Jim