LXDE on rawhide and LXDE Live CD spin

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 01:42:07 UTC 2008

Dear fellow testers,

I welcome the arrival of LXDE on Fedora.  Upon its coming in, I wonder what are the requirements for it.  I have an old box that refuses to install Fedora 8, or Fedora 9 because some driver or other detail kills the installation process.  I tried the XFCE spin and it fails to run as well :(, but upon seeing the LXDE coming in, it might be a good idea to try and install rawhide on this machine and install LXDE, I can try on another older machine at school, but I want to see if I can install ext4 or not when new Beta release(s) appear for F10.

Also upon Rahul's spin of XFCE live cd, how about a spin of LXDE for those older machines.  I can surely test this as a colleage has very old machines which ran windows 98 with 32/or 64 MB of Ram and if LXDE works under such harsh, below average conditions, I can gladly and cheerfully attempt to install Fedora with LXDE on those machines and make the students test the machines out.  Windows 98 freezes most of the time and my colleage decided not to connect the machines to avoid problems.  But I think this is a great opportunity to test LXDE and see if it can power on those old machines.

Any ideas, advice suggestions.  I will try to convince my colleague or otherwise borrow at least two machines to make some tests.

Thanks,

Antonio