No xorg.conf status?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Sep 20 02:31:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:46:22AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Just wondering if we are still going ahead with removing the need
> of xorg.conf for F11 and what's the overall status of that quest.

AFAICT "the need" was removed quite a while ago if you mean by that
"quite often we can run just fine without xorg.conf".

If you suggest a situation when xorg.conf is not recognized then
this is irreparably and seriously broken right from the start.  I
hope that you do not suggest such ideas.  The first monitor with a
missing or an incorrect EDID information will screw you up.  They
are frequent enough.

Even when derived monitor parameters are roughly correct nothing
says that running with an automatically derived configuration
is desirable.  I have such example right on my desk.  It is
quite old but then so what?

The above does not still cover various "non-standard"
configurations; like multihead.

> So far the only problem(s) I have encountered is after
> installation I need to go to System --> Hardware ---> Keyboard and
> set the layout of the keyboard to Icelandic.

Lucky you!  Solutions which "mostly work, somehow" are really
something which should be immediately recognized as broken beyond
recognition.  There is an unfortunate tendency to push in that
direction but wise people should know better.

   Michal