xorg-x11-drv-ati problem?

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 14:11:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 23:03 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 17:02:37 -0400,
>   Lyvim Xaphir <knightmerc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think you're gonna be confused no matter what, since fglrx DOES happen
> > to be the authoritative ati drivers; by the manufacturer.  The
> > manufacturer (by definition the CREATOR of the hardware), is also by
> > definition then the creator of the AUTHORITATIVE drivers.  So you've got
>
> That doesn't make them the authoritative Fedora ATI drivers.

And since Fedora is not authoritative for ATI, this means exactly jack.

The hierarchy is hardware before software, which should be pretty
evident except of course to GNU flagellants.  The official drivers are
the hardware manufacturer's drivers.  And 1 + 1 = 2, 2 + 2 = 4, etc.
See you kindergarten class for more details.

> > the real drivers by the manufacturer and then you've got the freetard
> > drivers which have the subpar performance.  At least with the latest
> > hardware and not including legacy hardware.
>
> My r530 based card does get 3d acceleration in F9. I haven't compared it to
> fglrx so I can't say if fglrx gets a bit more out of the card, but from what
> you say it sounds like it wouldn't work at all.

You need to boost your reading comprehension then.  The paragraph is
what it is; keep reading it over and over till you get it, I guess.

Or not.

LX