a couple early observations on f11beta install

Riku Seppälä riku.seppala at kymp.net
Wed Apr 1 21:52:10 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   on a couple of my gateway mx7120s -- one i386 install and one x86_64
> install:
>
> * would it be possible to have as constantly as possible the type of
> install being displayed, as in i386 versus x86_64?  sometimes, if i'm
> doing multiple installs, i have to put sticky notes on some of the
> units just to remember which install is happening on each one.  would
> it be a stretch to try and display that info as frequently as
> possible?
>
> * i noticed this with f11alpha as well but sometimes, when i start an
> install and i already know the media is good and want to skip the
> testing, there is a *noticeable* stall when i try to arrow over from
> "OK" to "Skip".
>
>   these two systems both got to that point at the same time, but the
> x86_64 system responded instantly when i selected to skip the media
> test, while the i386 install took, literally, about 10 seconds of
> pressing the arrow key before it finally moved over to "Skip".  is
> there a reason for that occasional delay?
>
>   more later.
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
>     Have classroom, will lecture.
>
> http://crashcourse.ca                          Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

I too like to write some of my observations of F11 beta on my HP
dv9237eu laptop. The webcam doesn't work, still needs that firmware from
http://bitbucket.org/ahixon/r5u87x/overview/ (I just thought if I nag
enough about this it will magically start to work :) ) And of course the
usual troubles, kernel oops, sound clicks at boot and login when it
starts to play the welcome sound, have to manually enable network...

Riku