what *is* the proper recipe for 64-bit flash support?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 15:16:01 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 4/2/09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: what *is* the proper recipe for 64-bit flash support?
> To: "Fedora Test List" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009, 8:00 AM
> as i posted yesterday, after a fresh f11 beta install, the
> first
> time i brought up firefox and browsed to a page with
> embedded flash, i
> got:
>
>   "Additional plugins are needed ... "
> "Install Missing Plugins"
>
>   however, as i reported, if you simply follow the recipe,
> elect to
> install those plugins, you get to download something from
> adobe, it
> gets installed, etc etc, but when that's all over, you
> *still* don't
> have flash support, and i'm guessing that that set of
> steps would work
> fine for i386 but not for an x86_64 install.
>
>   is that correct?  and if so, what *is* the proper set of
> steps to
> get flash support for a 64-bit f11 install?  and if the
> default recipe
> doesn't actually work for 64-bit, it seems that it
> shouldn't walk a
> user through those steps if it's not eventually going
> to work after
> it's over.
>
>   or am i missing something?  i have a fresh,
> fully-updated, x86_64
> f11 beta sitting in front of me, i haven't touched
> anything related to
> flash, and i'm willing to test whatever recipe someone
> wants to
> suggest and report back.
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
>     Have classroom, will lecture.
>
> http://crashcourse.ca                          Waterloo,
> Ontario, CANADA

Robert,

On the fedora-list, someone posted the following:

Flag this message
Re: Flashplayer for Fedora10-X86_64
Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:40 PM
From:
"Nicolae Ghimbovschi" <xfreebird at gmail.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
"Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
1) Remove previous versions

yum remove libflashsupport nspluginwrapper.i386 flash\*
mozilla-plugin-config -r

2) Download and copy the flashplayer in the mozilla plugins folder

curl http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.22.87.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
| tar  -C /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ -xzf -

3) Restart ndiswrapper

mozilla-plugin-config -i

4) Restart firefox

http://repo.fedoramd.org/3rdparty/libflashplayer-10.0.22.87.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

I have not tried it myself on two machines with x86_64, but might do so, if you try it and it works, I will give it a try! :)

Regards,

Antonio