what *is* the proper recipe for 64-bit flash support?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 2 17:24:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> > From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> >
> > the *old* recipe for 64-bit flash (not using adobe's alpha 64-bit
> > plugin) was to first install the adobe release rpm to get the
> > adobe yum repository info, and then:
> >
> >   # yum install \
> >       flash-plugin \
> >       nspluginwrapper.{i386,x86_64} \
> >       alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386 \
> >       libcurl.i386
> >
> > while this might have worked under f10, it won't work under f11
> > since the "i386" suffixes appear to have been replaced with
> > "i586".  other than that, the packages seem to exist, so i guess i
> > can just give it a shot.  does that look right?
>
> That was the way it was installed before.  But now there's an x86_64
> beta and it would be better(I guess for Adobe) that we test the
> x86_64 beta flash plugin and report back to them.  The way in the
> examples makes use of the i386 counterparts and is (not helping)
> them?

  i knew about the pre-release adobe 64-bit flash plugin, so a couple
questions:

  1) is this now the *preferred * way to go, rather than messing
around with 32-bit emulation?  as in, is the adobe plugin now
considered stable enough to be the superior approach?

  2) got a link for the "beta" version for downloading?  i poked
around but it wasn't clear which version i would be getting.  (i
clearly recall an alpha version, are you saying there's a newer
version?)

  3) if i go with the 64-bit plugin, how much of the above that i
installed can i now remove?  i'm assuming all of the i586 stuff can be
tossed.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.