will f11 have the latest official qemu (0.10.1)?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Apr 3 13:22:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 07:15 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > from memory a few minutes ago, i was perusing the "Virtualization"
> > install choices (didn't select it, though) and noticed that the qemu
> > coming with f11b was some git-versioned build.
> >
> >   after i started the install, i popped over to the qemu site:
> >
> > http://www.nongnu.org/qemu/
> >
> > and noticed a fairly recent, official 0.10.1 release (mar 21).  is
> > there any value in upgrading(?) the f11 version of qemu to the
> > official 0.10.1 release?  or would that be overly disruptive at this
> > point?
>
> The plan is to ship an official release of kvm-userspace. Confusing,
> right? :-)
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge
>
> Basically, we're now building qemu from the kvm-userspace source
> tarball.
>
> The latest rawhide version is a git snapshot of kvm-userspace from a
> stable branch based on qemu-0.10.x. We hope KVM upstream will release
> and official version from this branch soon and we'll then include that.
>
> In the future - maybe in time for F12 - all of kvm will be merged back
> into qemu and we'll go back to shipping official qemu tarballs.
>
> (Btw - fedora-virt-list is a good place to follow developments on this
> front)

  i'll have to follow up on this when i have a bit more time, but i'm
looking for online docs on virtualization on fedora, right from the
newbie level and up.  in a nutshell, later this year, i might be
giving a seminar on how to start playing with virtualization, and i
want to be able to hand out some beginner-level stuff on how to take a
fresh f11 install, and do at least the basics with virtualization.

  does such a doc exist?  and by "doc", i mean a gentle intro for
people who truly don't know much (if anything) about virtualization.
thanks.

  and yes, i realize this is getting off-topic so feel free to reply
to me offline if you'd prefer.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.