F11 beta xfce i686 spin

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 4 10:14:12 UTC 2009

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 21:32:09 +0100
> psmith <johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> David wrote:

>>> Kinda' beginning to look like you are the only one to try this.  :-)
>>>
>>> I would try it just for you but I don't do BitTorrents. Is it
>>> available for direct d/l anywhere?
>>>

>> yeah it does look as though i'm the only one to try it so far, but
>> i've got about 10 or 11 people waiting for me to get it up and
>> running before we commit it to their netbooks also, i had managed to
>> get these guys to eventually install F10 xfce instead of windows and
>> as a next step i wanted them to get involved in filing bugs etc, to
>> bring them farther into the linux community but so far i can't get it
>> to work.
>>

> Whats the video hardware/chipset/model?
> This is a burned media or live usb?
> Are you sure the media is good and verifies?
>

>> i've downloaded it twice, both times the checksums were correct, but
>> both times it always just stops when it should be bringing up
>> plymouth. i have managed to get the standard i686 live iso to work
>> but the xfce spin is definately a no go. i wonder who makes the
>> spins? do they test them after composing them?
>>

> Yes. I haven't yet tested the beta itself, but I was making live media
> locally here right up until beta was released and they were working
> fine here.
>
> I will try testing the exact beta iso this weekend and see if something
> happened there.
>

>> thanks for the offer of help but unfortunately torrent is the only
>> way to get the xfce spins, but i think there had been about 20 copies
>> downloaded when i stopped seeding, but none of those must frequent
>> this list lol.
>>

> I've been seeding since release morning here. ;)
>

>> does anyone know where i can contact the guys who composed the spin
>> and ask them to check it out?
>>

> Thats primarily me. ;)
> You could also post to the spins-sig list if you like.
>
> I would have tested it today, but I had to be working at my day job, so
> I didn't have time to. ;)
>

>> tia
>> phil
>>

> kevin

thanks for the reply kevin, i thought you may be involved as you are the
xfce guy but i wasn't sure if you were involved in spining the beta iso's

first hardware is acer aspire one A150, intel 945GME gfx, intel 82801
chipset, atom cpu, 1.5GBram, sata HD, this was booted usb made from
verified iso (sha256 matches that that came with the iso)

sencond hardware is gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 mobo, geforce 8800GTX, Athlon
X2 5600, raid0, 4GB ram. this was booted from both the usb and a burned
copy of the iso.

both these machines happily run F10 no problems. and both will boot from
the gnome i686 live spin (with some cajoling, like changing the hw timer
to jiffy instead of tsc on the aspire as tsc is unstable :/)

but with the xfce spin both of them stop when it should be loading
plymouth, the machine isn't frozen as it responds to plugging in and
removing usb mice etc, and also replies to the three finger salute and
tells me it's going down for reboot.

i look forward to seeing if you guys can get any farther than me

phil